SOLAS SHIELD
Home About Benefits Functions Sectors Solas Shield
 Positive Protection Providing Persistent Prevention 24/7-365 
TiO2 Photocatalytic Oxidation Technology

DEODORISING & SANITISATION

How Solas Shield PCO Helps


   It is extremely effective in preventing the growth and further propagation of moulds within your household or building,

 

 It actively destroys airborne mould spores through photocatalytic reactions. It breaks down the cell membrane of moulds, deactivating all toxins into harmless inert substances.


Solas Shield PCO is thus a very efficient and effective Anti-mould media which has long term  24/7 - 365 advantages over any other available technologies.


BENEFITS...

Solas-Shield PCO doesn't work like conventional air fresheners, it actually attacks the root of the smell by causing the breakdown of the origin of the odour (ammonia, aldehyde gas and smoke, etc).  Using the power of light - a surface that has been treated with a our application will actually burn up harmful pollutants and turns them into clean oxygen. It is totally safe and inert and is the most effective odour eliminator available...

Moulds, Fungi & Algal Growth

Moulds are simple, microscopic organisms that are found both indoors and outdoors. Requiring just heat and humidity to propogate, they can thrive on virtually any surface. In the home, moulds are usually located in damp, dark and steam-filled areas such as the bathroom, kitchen, behind walls and within insulation.


Moulds reproduce through releasing innumerable lightweight spores. Mould spores may cling onto clothing and fur and travel to new destinations which will then become toxic and infested.


Health Effects


The inhalation of mould spores, and/or fragments of the mould present a health hazard, causing allergenic reactions and respiratory problems. They can also aggravate pre-existing health conditions. Moulds have been known to be a contributing factor towards Sick Building Syndrome (SBS).


Moulds & Fungi produce mycotoxins in crops which pose as a possible lethal health risk to both humans and animals.


Prolonged exposure to mycotoxin  can lead to the following commonly reported symptoms:-













Patients who have recently been discharged from a hospital and/or are immune-suppressed are also extremely susceptible to health problems resulting from mould & fungi.



  "In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children."   - Institute of Medicine (IOM), 2004



Sick Building Syndrome is used to describe situations where the building occupants experience acute health and comfort effects that appear to be linked to the amount of time spent in a particular building, but where no specific illness or cause can be identified.


Communication and Education: These are the most important elements in both the remedial and prevenative Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) management programs. When building occupants, management/maintenance personnel fully communicate and understand the causes and effects of IAQ issues, they can work more effectively together to prevent further problems from occurring. Photocalytic oxidation can be used to reduce exposure to low concentration of indoor air pollutants and also to improve the IAQ.


Indoor Air Pollutants: Nowadays people tend to spend about 90 percent of their time indoors...and are constantly exposed to many types of pollutants such as:
– Amonia

– Carbon Monoxide
– Formaldehyde

– Mould
– Nitrogen Dioxide (NOx),

– Sulfur Dioxide (SOx), etc.

– Volatile Organic Compound (VOC)

Pollutant source removal or modification: Periodic cleaning or replacement of filters; replacement of water-stained ceiling tile and carpeting; institution of smoking restrictions; venting contaminant source emissions to the outdoors; storage and use of paints, adhesives, solvents, and pesticides in well ventilated areas, and the use of these pollutant sources during periods of non-occupancy; and allowing time for building materials in new or remodeled areas to off-gas pollutants before occupancy

Sources of Air Pollutants:


Carbon Monoxide (CO); Sources of Carbon Monoxide can be found in;- automobile exhaust, back drafting from furnaces, gas stoves, gas water heaters, generators and other fuel powered equipment, leaking chimneys and furnaces, open fireplaces, unvented gas or paraffin space heaters, wood stoves and tobacco smoke.
At low concentrations, exposure to carbon monoxide can show fatigue in healthy people and chest pain in people with heart disease. At higher concentrations, impaired vision and coordination; headaches; dizziness; confusion and nausea may occur. Carbon Monoxide may also cause flu type symptoms that usually clear up after breathing fresh air from outside the building.

WARNING - Exposure to this Gas in high concentrations is nearly always fatal.


Formaldehyde; Formaldehyde is an important chemical used widely by industry to manufacture building materials and numerous household products. It is also a by-product of combustion and certain other natural processes. Therfore, it may posibly be present in substantial concentrations both indoors and outdoors.
Sources of formaldehyde in the home include building materials,  household products, smoking, and the use of unvented, fuel-burning appliances, like gas stoves or paraffin space heaters.
Exposure to formaldehyde vapors can cause eye, nose and throat irritation; coughing; dizziness; headaches; nausea; nosebleeds; skin rashes and vomiting.


Mould; Moulds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mould spores land on a wet or damp spot (bathroom/shower) and begin growing. Moulds have the potential to cause health problems, they are also known to produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mould or mould spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to moulds are common this can often be immediate or sometimes delayed. They can also cause asthma attacks in people who are allergic to mould. In addition, mould exposure can irritate the eyes, lungs, nose, skin and throat of both mould-allergic and non-allergic peoplle.


Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2); Sources of NO2 can be found in paraffin heaters, un-vented gas heaters/stoves and tobacco smoke.
Health effects associated with Nitrogen Dioxide can cause eye, nose, and throat irritation. It may cause impaired lung function and increased respiratory infections in younger children.


Volatile Organic Compound (VOC)

Sources of VOC can be found everywhere in households including: aerosol sprays; air fresheners; automotive products; cleansers and disinfectants; dry-cleaned clothing; hobby supplies; moth repellents; paints, paint strippers; wood preservatives; stored fuels and other solvents;
Health effects can range from eye, nose, and throat irritation; headaches, loss of coordination, nausea; damage to liver, kidney and central nervous system.

The ability of organic chemicals to cause health effects varies greatly from those that are highly toxic, to those with no known health effect. As with other pollutants, the extent and nature of the health effect will depend on many factors including level of exposure and length of time exposed. Eye and respiratory tract irritation, dizziness, headaches, visual disorders, and memory impairment are among the immediate symptoms that some people have experienced soon after exposure to some VOC’s.